Community Connect Program – USDA Rural Development
What does this program do?
The grant program offers financial assistance to eligible applicants that will construct broadband networks that provide service on a community-oriented connectivity basis in rural areas.
Who may apply for this program?
Eligible applicants include:
• State and local governments
• Federally recognized Tribes
• For-profit corporations
• Limited liability companies
What is an eligible area?
Rural areas that lack broadband service as defined in the most recent funding announcement are eligible.
How may the funds be used?
• The construction, acquisition, or leasing of facilities, spectrum, land or buildings used to deploy broadband service for:
° all residential and business customers located within the Proposed Funded Service Area
° all participating essential community facilities (such as public schools, fire stations, public libraries, and public safety stations)
• The cost of providing broadband service free of charge to the essential community facilities for 2 years
• Up to 10 percent of the grant may be used for the improvement, expansion, construction, or acquisition of a community center that provides online access to the public
Are there other requirements?
Other program requirements include:
• Documentation supporting the scoring criteria
• An executive summary of the proposed project
• Grantees must have legal authority to provide, construct, operate and maintain the proposed facilities or services
• Partnerships with other federal, state, local, private, and nonprofit entities are encouraged
• For additional details, see 7 CFR, 1739 Matching funds of at least 15 percent from non-federal sources are required and can be used for operating costs.
How do we get started?
• Application windows for this program are announced through the national office on a periodic basis.
• Program Resources are available online at rd.usda.gov (includes forms, guidance, certifications, etc.)
Financial Resources and Assistance
- Grant Funding Providers
100 Centennial Mall North
Lincoln, NE 68508